Signal Not Found?

Need help with your receiver? Have a completed receiver to share? Post it here.
rkohrs

Signal Not Found?

Postby rkohrs » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:08 am

Hello Folks!

Everything seems to be working. I can connect, a signal appears of some sort (though, I'm not sure what it should look like), and data is collected in the proper format. When I "Test the Data", no signal is found. I can still upload it, but I'm wondering if it isn't picking up Fort Collins?

What is it looking for in terms of a signal?

Thanks for any direction.

kckerbypatel

Re: Signal Not Found?

Postby kckerbypatel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:33 pm

It's looking to see if a spike in the frequency spectrum is detectable at the right frequency for WWVB. WWVB transmits on 60 kHz, but because the circuit does some downconversion, you'll see it at 18.2 kHz. If you're getting a negative test result, start by running down this checklist:

1. Did you align your antenna?
2. Is is after dark where you are? Can you expect to detect WWVB right now?
3. Are you near any potential electromagnetic noise sources, like high-power switches, auto starters, ethernet cables, plasma TVs...?
4. Is your circuit powered on and are your batteries charged?
5. It's possible the signal strength coming out of the frequency doubler is too low - in that case, try turning up the volume on your phone.
K.C. Kerby-Patel, EclipseMob Hardware Team Director, Assistant Professor at University of Massachusetts Boston

pcw

Re: Signal Not Found?

Postby pcw » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:48 pm

I saw a very dramatic spike at 21kHz while recording, which failed the test. What am I doing wrong? If that spike isn't the right one, what could be causing it? FWIW, I'm using the iPhone version of the app.

Return to “Tech Discussions”